10 January, 2013

recap

*****

The holidays happened. I took a lot of pictures and planned on doing a few posts because what better use of this blog is there than to photo dump pictures of my family having fun? The time has come and past for me to have made multiple posts out of events that happened two weeks ago (are we really almost halfway through the first month on 2013?!). So here, in a nutshell/blogpost, is what we did the last half of December:

*****

We went to California for Christmas! It was a last minute trip but boy was it wonderful. Cousin Jessica (who we really consider a sister so from here on out I'm going to refer to her as 'sister Jessica' but she is not a nun so don't get confused) requested that since all the sisters were in town - which really is a rarity for us - we have a baking/sleepover night. 

We hadn't all been in the same room in a year and a half so that night was pretty much the best of all possible worlds. Plus I got to see two of my beautiful friends and a junior - who did not cry when I held him; a feat that no one other than his mother could accomplish. Ha!

Really, you can't beat sisters, friends, and cookies. My trip could've ended right then and there and it would've been complete.

*****


*****

But it didn't end there! I got donuts at the best donut shop in the world. How lucky that it is located in my home town. The Donut Wheel. The best donuts ever.

*****


*****

And of course, Christmas day. (We had spent Christmas Eve with Dan's family. I really should've have taken some pictures but I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the extended family and it's tough to gauge if other people like pictures or if they are just going to find the constant sound of clicking and shuttering annoying. Just know that we spent Christmas eve with Dan's fam.)

Christmas morning we woke up early to open presents with Dan's family (and drink mimosas!). Then we spent the rest of the day with my family. We opened presents and ate so many good homemade things that Julia prepared for us. We ate Christmas dinner at Aunt Laurie's and then we played Cards Against Humanity.  

Cards Against Humanity is essentially dirty Apples to Apples (my friend Audrey explains it well here). Dad played under protest, Mom and Uncle Mike Loved it, Grandma couldn't believe what had become of her offspring, and the rest of us just laughed and laughed. Dan laughed so hard at some point that beer came out his nose. If you haven't played it, it's worth a shot. I do not necessarily recommend that you include your parents.

*****


*****

New Years Eve we spent celebrating with friends here in Wilmington. We were also celebrating the birth of a dear friend of ours. We went to Hibachi (My first time! I caught a piece of vegetable in my mouth!) and I made those sparkly hats for everyone! We relocated to a local bar where a guy dressed as dracula DJ'd and Dan requested "Party in the USA." Yep, the Miley Cyrus song. 

Then we parted from the group. They went to a party and we excused ourselves to ring in the New Year on our own. We drank champagne and set off the poppers Dan bought at a nearby fireworks stand. 2013 started off perfectly.

*****


*****

Now Dan and I are applying for jobs and law schools respectively. We're officially done with the Marine Corps mid-February and only God knows where we're headed next. I would really appreciate it if He would let us in on it, though. 

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment