30 September, 2010

reading for pleasure































It's been at least 4 years since I have really had time to read. I love to read -- I've loved reading for as long as I can remember. My parents tell me that when I was exiled to my room on timeout they would find me not twiddling my thumbs waiting until they released me from my cell, but curled up in my bed turning the pages in my latest book; I've come a long way from my beloved Nancy Drew series. More recently reading has come in the form of textbooks and the occasional novel from an English class. I didn't even know where to start when I went to the bookstore. Luckily, I had been gifted Crime and Punishment as a wedding present from my book worm sister, Julia, and that was as good a start as any. And the books just kept on coming. I've averaged about a book a week in the past 9 that we've been here in Rhode Island. I teased Dan today that maybe I'm getting used to all this free time to read, he scoffed. We both know that I am climbing up the walls, anxious to start work and finish school. But I'm thinking my renewed love for literature is here to stay.

Here's the list (I can't remember the order I read them in):
1. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky -- This classic novel took me a bit to get into but was well worth the time, it's the best classic I've read in my life to date.
2. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess -- The first third was spent deciphering the slang, if you hang in there it's great.
3. Scandal by Kate Brian -- okay, maybe I haven't come that far from Nancy Drew. This one was my guilty pleasure, teen read similar to Gossip Girl.
4. The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs -- I have a previous blog that sums up my feelings about this book, loved it.
5. The Reader by Bernhard Schlink -- I'm a sucker for books and movies based in or around the time of WWII, I read this in a day.
6. Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis -- I purchased this for Dan because he loves sci-fi, but when I ran out of books and didn't feel like buying another one yet I read this one; it was surprisingly interesting.
7. This is Where I Leave You by Jonathon Tropper -- OMG I laughed out loud so may times. He's hilarious but he also has a mouth on him, so, fair warning.
8. Born Standing Up by Steve Martin -- I loved it. I felt nostalgic for a time that I missed, Steve Martin is incredible.
9. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin -- I'm finishing this book up currently, this man is amazing and he brings life to so much of what I want to do; it's inspirational.



3 comments:

  1. this last week was read a banned book week...and clockwork orange is (of course) on the list! nice work. i've been wanting to read that one for a long time. you've also inspired me to read the year of living biblically one...i just need to go to the library, which i never seem to have time for. i'm glad you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list! I'm currently reading Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (my author crush) for fun. It's nice to cheat and read some fiction sometimes now that all my assigned reading is non-fiction. To that end, I've also got Hunting Mr. Heartbreak (a history of immigration in the U.S.), Writing About your Life (a craft book), and The Road to Coorain (an Australian memoir) on my nightstand. Dontcha just love a good read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great list! I'm currently reading Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (my author crush) for fun. It's nice to cheat and read some fiction sometimes now that all my assigned reading is non-fiction. To that end, I've also got Hunting Mr. Heartbreak (a history of immigration in the U.S.), Writing About your Life (a craft book), and The Road to Coorain (an Australian memoir) on my nightstand. Dontcha just love a good read?

    ReplyDelete